Continuing the conversation about Jewish connectedness replacing affiliation and membership as a key to the Jewish future, I’d like to suggest connection to Jewishness as a key component.
I see Jewishness as what many refer to as being “Jewy”, but raising the bar a bit. Here are some ways that people express their connection to their Jewishness:
- Visiting Israel
- Reading Jewish authors who write about Jewish characters or Jewish concerns
- Owning Jewish or Israeli art and/or music
- Consciously purchasing Israeli products
- Inviting those who are not Jewish to partake of Jewish events or observances
- Reading Jewish blogs, newspapers, and newsfeeds
- Focusing interest on news events pertaining to Jews, Jewish concerns or Israel
- Engaging in family conversations around issues to Jewish interest
What I am proposing is a multivariate, complex definition of what it means to be connected Jew today. More ideas to follow. Thanks for your feedback, and looking forward to the continued conversation.